Dr. Michael Fox of Chemaxx
has reported that the cans used for Pam cooking spray have a major design flaw that is likely causing them to explode during normal cooking use.
According to Chemaxx’s research, each of the cooking spray cans had vents at the bottom of the cans that are intended to release pressure when heated to prevent the can from exploding, acting as a fail-safe to ensure that consumers are not injured. Upon further examination of the cooking spray cans, however, this fail-safe is actually one of the root causes as to why the cooking spray cans are exploding.
In a matter of steps that triggered the cooking spray cans failure for safe use, the results showed that the cooking spray cans were actually releasing pressure at MUCH lower temperatures than expected, low enough to match temperatures near a hot stove during a normal course of cooking.
Upon further examination of the contents being released from the cans during this pressure release showed that near an open flame, the contents were extremely flammable, triggering the gas released from the cooking spray can to ignite into, essentially, a ball of fire shown here:
Two major design flaws working in concert for a disastrous result that could potentially lead to more unsuspecting victims injuring themselves while using this product.