Texas DOT: 2017 Holds Record For Most Fatalities From Large Truck Crashes In Texas
According to figures released by the Texas Department of Transportation, 2017 now holds the record as the deadliest year among all large truck crashes in the state’s history.
In the report, titled “Count of Vehicles in Crashes by Body Style,” of the 5,430 recorded fatalities on our Texas roads, large trucks, semi-trucks, and 18-wheelers accounted for 559 deaths, an increase of 8.3% over 2016 (516 fatalities).
2017 also holds the record for most serious injuries caused by large truck crashes (1,464) as well as surpassing the 50,000-crash benchmark for most total truck crashes in Texas history (51,324).
What Is Causing An Increase In Truck Crash Injuries and Truck Crash Deaths In Texas?
There are currently no studies to help determine why these truck crashes are occurring at a larger amount, however, there are some pieces of evidence we may be able to turn to:
- Increase in Distracted Driving Crashes – Although there is no report that links causes of motor vehicle accidents to the vehicle type, there have been increases in total motor vehicle crashes being attributed to distracted driving, specifically cell phone use. 2017 saw 72 fatalities in 5,095 crashes attributed to cell phone usage while driving.
- Truck Industry Boom – With online retailers such as Amazon selling merchandise at record paces, especially large “big ticket” items with purchases that have seen an 18.2% increase in 2018, the trucking industry has boomed to meet consumer demands. J.B. Hunt, the 3rd largest trucking company in the United States, acquired Cory 1st Choice Home Delivery, which provides home delivery for large products such as appliances, as well as Special Logistics Dedicated in order to keep up with e-commerce demands. This means now more than ever, more trucks are being used to move more product than ever before.
- Overworked/Inexperienced Truckers – Tieing into the truck industry boom, one could speculate that more demand means that either current truck drivers are being asked, under the table, to work more hours to deliver more loads leading to more potential crashes caused from fatigue, or companies would need to bring in more new, inexperienced drivers whom may be more susceptible to causing an accident.
What Should I Do If I Was Injured In A Large Truck Crash?
Most, if not all large truck crash victims end up with severe injuries, so here are a few steps to follow depending on the severity of your injuries:
If Your Injuries Are Severe
- If possible, Call 911 – If you are able, you must call 911 immediately so that you may receive medical attention as soon as possible.
- DO NOT MOVE OR LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE – Unless your life is in absolute danger (such as a car fire), wait for emergency services to arrive and listen to their instructions.
If Your Injuries Are Not Severe
- Call 911 – There needs to be a record of this accident and you
- Take Photos – Treat your accident like the scene of a crime. Your photos may be used as evidence for your potential injury case. Take photos of any of the numbers you can see on the truck.
- Seek medical treatment – Even if you feel like you haven’t been injured, that may your adrenaline that is masking your injuries. Have yourself examined by a medical professional immediately.
Do I Really Need A Truck Crash Lawyer?
If you were injured in a large truck crash accident, you should always speak to an attorney. In all likelihood, after you have recuperated from your injuries, the truck’s insurance will try to negotiate a settlement with you and your injuries, and it will likely be for 3.5 times less than what you should probably recover.
When it comes to your injury settlement negotiations, this is no time to play “DIY lawyer.” You need an experienced truck crash lawyer who can help you navigate through your claim and work on your behalf to potentially get you the most compensation for your injuries as possible.
Call The McAllen and South Texas Truck Crash Lawyers From Moore Law Firm Today
Don’t wait until the truck’s insurance company tries to low-ball your truck crash injury claim and call the McAllen truck crash lawyers at Moore Law Firm today at 1-800-444-2780 today for your FAST and FREE consultation!